Following an utterly disappointing 5-4 loss to the Diamondbacks in Friday's series opener, Cliff Lee takes the ball Saturday night with a chance to get the Phillies back to .500.
That headscratcher of a move pinch-running for Ryan Howard with John Mayberry Jr. in the eighth proved fatal in the ninth when JMJ struck out looking on a pitch right down the middle to end the game. And the D'Backs improved to 2-11 at home.
No matter -- the Phils can still salvage the series with Lee pitching tonight and A.J. Burnett tomorrow and finish their West Coast road trip a respectable 6-4.
Lee (3-2, 3.09) squares off against Bronson Arroyo (1-2, 9.50) at 8:10 p.m.
• Lee has a chance to get four wins in April for the first time since his Cy Young season when he went 5-0 in April 2008.
• Freddy Galvis is 1 for 25 and starting for the fifth time in six games. At least he's batting eighth tonight, although he'll offer zero protection for Carlos Ruiz, who's batting seventh.
• Key matchups for Lee: Martin Prado (6 for 29), Aaron Hill (7 for 23), Cody Ross (3 for 14)
• Key matchups for Arroyo: Marlon Byrd (10 for 27, 2 HR), Chase Utley (7 for 23, 2 HR), Domonic Brown (6 for 12)
• The Phillies haven't lost a series to Arizona since April 2011.