The Phillies' modest three-game walk-off winning streak came to an end with a 12-7 loss to the Arizona Diamondbacks in a game that lasted 18 innings and seven hours. It was the longest game in Phillies history and first seven-hour game in the majors since 1989.
It was also a game where starting pitcher Ethan Martin and starting right fielder Casper Wells both pitched two-thirds of an inning. In between, manager Ryne Sandberg had to figure out how to get 16 innings out of his bullpen.
It wasn't easy. With Martin unable to get through the first inning, the Phillies trailed 6-0 through the first five innings. But because of another home run from Darin Ruf -- his ninth of August -- in the Phillies' four-run eighth, the Phillies had a chance for the big league's first streak of four straight walk-off wins in 13 years.
Want some crazy stuff? Try this out:* Casper Wells went 0 for 7 with four strikeouts and was the losing pitcher. His batting average dropped to .128 and his ERA jumped to 27.00.
* John McDonald entered the game in the 18th inning as the left fielder before coming on in relief as Wells went back to right field. In 15 big league seasons, it was the seventh time McDonald played the outfield and his first pitching appearance.
* It was the first time two position players pitched for the same team in a game since April 17, 2010 when Felipe Lopez and Joe Mather pitched for the Cardinals in a 20-inning loss to the Mets.
* Sunday's scheduled starting pitcher Tyler Cloyd was pushed into duty for five innings, throwing 91 pitches from the 11th through 16th inning. To take Sunday's start, Roy Halladay will forego his scheduled rehab outing in Reading and return to the Phillies.
* The Phillies also will option Cloyd to the minors and call up a reliever.
* Phillies' pitchers issued 18 walks.
* Diamondbacks' pitchers had 20 strikeouts.
* Domonic Brown left the game after the second inning with a sore right Achilles tendon.The Diamondbacks' Tony Campana and Cliff Pennington each had five walks. Paul Goldschmidt walked four times and Adam Eaton went 4 for 10.
* Michael Young entered the game in the ninth inning and went 0 for 4.
* Chase Utley drew three walks in the game and has walked seven times in the last three games.
Meanwhile, it will be interesting to see what kind of affect this game has on the Phillies over the next few days. Not only is the bullpen taxed, but also Brown likely will be out of the lineup for at least a day and who knows what Halladay can give in his first big league outing since May 5.