« Game chat: Phillies start short set with visiting Astros | Main | Game chat: Lee, Phils try to complete short sweep »

Monday, May 14, 2012

Comments

To me, the real story is how good this rotation is. Going into tonights game, Blanton had the worst xFIP in the rotation, at 3.56, followed by Doc at 3.29. After 7 innings tonight with 7 Ks and 1 walk, it's entirely possible that Halladay has been our worst starter, in terms of peripheral performance.

Everyone (including me) assumed there had to be some regression from the starting rotation--it couldn't possibly be as good as last year.

Well, it isn't as good as last year. It's better.

Jack, Phillies rotation had a 2.86 ERA, 2.98 FIP and 3.17 xFIP, with 25.8 WAR (162 G).

This year (through last night), they have a 3.03 ERA, 2.92 FIP and 3.14 xFIP, with 5.8 WAR through 35 G, meaning they are on pace for 26.8 WAR.

So yes, they have been slightly better peripherally, but worse in terms of actual results.

JW- Thanks for working late and putting this piece together.
Polly is a favorite from his first Phila. stint. I was sad to see him traded away and glad to have him back with the Phils,even in the later years of his career.
Galvis has been a real life saver - playing 2B like it is the position that he got his defensive reputation. And getting just enough out his bat to contribute to some wins.
Almost giddy about a 2 game winning streak.

Also, getting more IP/GS from the starters this year. At 6.67 IP/GS right now. Got 6.57 IP/GS start last year.

Blanton has been solid. Who expected it. No one thought Worley could be so strong this year. Dare I say the three aces could be even better - I think so. Papelbon has done what he's supposed to, with high expectations. It would be nice to think the hitting is finally coming along. But we will wait and see.

Should we bat Freddy 1st and move Jimmy to 8?

When does Chooch move up in the lineup? When does Jimmy move down?

He hit 5th today.

Rollins is still atrocious and Pence is finding out about playing baseball in Philly (booooooooo).

Interesting......
Shayam Das, the neutral third arbitrator who handles PED and other appeals, and who served at the pleasure of both Major League Baseball and the MLBPA, has been fired:

A person familiar with the decision tells The Associated Press that baseball management has fired Shyam Das, the arbitrator who overturned Ryan Braunā€˜s drug suspension in February.

Bubba, can you link to the article? Thanks.

Wait a minute. This can't be happening.

I mean look - these were the same folks that explained how Ibanez was washed up also (couldn't get around on a fastball anymore), and how Moyer was washed up what, four years ago?

Obviously, such brilliant baseball analysts couldn't be wrong.

Heather- http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/14/major-league-baseball-fires-arbitrator-shyam-das/

Sounds like Selig covering his tracks(Milwaukee roots) to me. But I really don't like or trust ol' Bud.

"Well, it isn't as good as last year. It's better. "

So they've given up more runs per inning pitched, but they've been "better?"

That shows an amazing ability to use statistics to confuse yourself about reality.

Phlipper: Yes, it is my opinion that the rotation has actually been better this season than last, considering the contributions from Worley and Blanton so far. You're talking about a difference of a few runs, but the peripherals have all been better--which means what the pitchers can control, they've been doing better. My opinion.

Why don't you run along now and play with the other kids somewhere else? The adults are talking here.

"No one thought Worley could be so strong this year."

Little Ollie, in truth, no one, myself included, really stuck his/her neck out about Worley this year. I am on record as saying I thought he would be good, just not as good as last season. So far, at least in terms of ERA, he's been about as good (though he's giving up more H/9 and HR/9) as last season.

Let's see where he ends up this year and next, but so far, so good.

Oh, and congrats to Polly on #2,000!

Jack. Peripherals are nice to describe the why to explain performance and they are good for predictions, but last I checked, the goal of a pitcher is to prevent the opponent from scoring runs - in which case the metric of runs allowed per inning pitched would measure how well a pitcher has performed. I vuess when I grow up I'll understand that.

"I was told, over and over, by a long line of BLer experts that Polly's poor start wasn't attributable to a small sample size, but to the fact that he is "washed up."

Posted by: Phlipper | Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 12:35 AM

I think you're either confused, or you just felt like picking on Jack..

Do you have a reasonable argument to the acceptance of DIPS theory? I'd be willing to listen to such an argument. Your argument is just silly.

If the Astros name me the starting pitcher for tomorrow and I walk 15 batters and give up 18 warning-track fly balls over 6 shutout innings, I fully expect you to laud my performance.

Jack: League average FIP is down by .17 points since last year. xFIP & ERA are down .09. When you adjust accordingly, I'd be surprised if the Phillies' starting pitching has been as good as it was last year. Seems like everywhere you look in the NL, pitchers are putting up gaudy stat lines this year.

DH Phils: If you pulled that off, you should be lauded. But not here. Every post would be about the Phils with RISP.

There's also the intangible "My eyes tell me" factor, and my eyes tell me that the starting pitching hasn't been as good as it was last year.

For one thing, Lee has only made 4 starts; his other 3 turns were taken by KK, who was wretched.

Halladay has been just another good pitcher this year; he hasn't been anywhere remotely close to dominant.

Worley has probably been better than last year, but has pitched into some bad luck (.325 BABIP, 22.6% HR/FB ratio).

Blanton has been considerably better than Oswalt was last year.

Cole has been fantastic.

All in all, I think you could say that our starting rotation, to this point, has been deeper than last year's but not as strong at the top because of Halladay's ineffectiveness & Lee's injury. On an overall basis, though, I'd give the edge to last year's staff because of that strength at the top.

I've been studying boxscores for about 55 years, and it's nice to look at tonite's, see the Phils use 4 pitchers, and Joe has the highest ERA at 2.96. I know that's an old-fashioned stat, and not the best one for RP's, but still.
So many good things happened tonite on the 237th sellout(including postseason). That's my lucky number. Also Red's cell number in Shawshank, my favorite movie. And since it's the 25th ann. of Rita Hayworth's death, maybe I'll watch it for about the 237th time.

Hard to believe that last night was a sellout, considering that there were still tickets available in the afternoon. How many people were buying up last minute tickets to watch the lousy Astros play the last place Phils in the rain?

Red Sox, Angels, Phillies.

All were pre-season playoff favorites; all are now last in their division.

Which team, if any, makes the playoffs? Dave Schoenfield at ESPN predicts the Phillies. Yes, the Phils' offense sucks, but so does the offense of most teams.

Reasons the Phils make the playoffs:
1. The top of the rotation - Halladay, Lee, Hamels
2. The bottom of the rotation - Blanton, Worley
3. Papelbon.

Note that the prediction has nothing to do with any boost to the team when Howard and Utley return.

Posted by: derekcarstairs

For some reason this made me laugh quite a bit.

Some brushing back in the NL West last night and nobody got called lily livered, chicken sh8t, disgraceful or gutless. Very interesting.

Phlipper, I have two random games for you. I want you to tell me which pitcher was better.

Edwin Jackson, June 25th, 2010:

9 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 8 BB, 6 SO

Cliff Lee, September 15th, 2011

9 IP, 1 R, 5 H, 0 BB, 12 SO

Pence popped up another meatball last night. Another well-deserved boo. Hope he collects himself soon.

As hard as it is to watch the offense sometimes, they need to find a solution to middle relief. I'm always ready to take 6 or 7 from Blanton to teh bank. The fact that I felt fine with Blanton going back out in the 8th last night is unsettling.

***It has been amusing to watch phlipper's metamorphosis into clout over these past few seasons.***

I know, right? I read that post and automatically assumed it was clout till I saw the "Posted By" line. Eeery.

***League average FIP is down by .17 points since last year. xFIP & ERA are down .09. When you adjust accordingly, I'd be surprised if the Phillies' starting pitching has been as good as it was last year. Seems like everywhere you look in the NL, pitchers are putting up gaudy stat lines this year.***

Of course, it is just mid-May and offensive performance typically doesnt do as well in colder weather like April so its tough to make any sort of judgment call on that yet. Odds are, the "drop" is just statistical noise that will even out when we enter "hitting season".

Here I am. I am one of the many that wrote Polanco off at the start of the year. Hitting .329 in the last month. I'm happy he has shut me up. Finally starting to see some signs of normalcy with him and Bastardo putting together a couple good outings.

I doubt that get today's game in but I assume they will try and draw it out as long as possible since it is the only stop for Houston.

"The fact that I felt fine with Blanton going back out in the 8th last night is unsettling."

I wouldn't have exactly used the word "fine" to describe how I felt, but I hear exactly what you're saying and concur. Middle pen is rough.

Anyway, props to Blanton. The guy has been a pro, working through a discouraging long term injury, and coming back to really pick up the team in a couple of games where it was sorely needed. Two of his last three games were lockdowns, and although they weren't what you would call "must wins" at this stage, were surely important.

He takes a beating here from time to time, but he deserves some respect now for sure.

Heavy B wants to get paid.

Posted by: EastFallowfield

Sellouts seem to be very subjective. Who knows how they determine it.

Bob -- Think of it. Come September, all wins, all season, are "must wins".

I'm astonished this team hasn't quit on itself. There must be a new leadership dynamic in the clubhouse. Could it be Doc? Heck, is Chooch the new "Dutch"?

Jack and Fata remind me of the surgeon who goes up to the family and says: "Good news, the operation was a success, unfortunately the patient died."

If I'm not mistaken, tickets sold to re-sellers are considered sold when determining if the team has a sell-out. I don't think the availability of tickets the day of the game is relevant.

"Another sellout tonight...though we should mention that there are still 38,000 tickets available on Stubhub"

Posted by: derekcarstairs

Plus, we're used to the stadium selling out over capacity (e.g., 104%). So we could still have empty seats and sell out due to the standing room only crowd and third-party vendors.

We still lead the league in attendance aside from the Yankees.

No, Phlipper, I'm the guy who says:

Surgeon A did everything correctly, but because of forces beyond his immediate control, the patient still died.

Surgeon B screwed up a bunch of the parts of the operation, but because of forces beyond his immediate control, the patient survived.

I'd want Surgeon A performing my next operation, and so would you. And that's the point. He technically performed better, even if the results don't indicate that.

By the same logic, the pitcher who strikes out 12 and walks none, while only issuing 5 hits and giving up 1 run absolutely pitched better than the guy who walked 8 (!!), and only struck out 6, even though he didn't give up any hits or runs. That Edwin Jackson put 8 runners on base, and had to rely on his defense for 21 outs tells me that he was more lucky than great that night. That Lee only put 6men on base, and only had to rely on his defense for 15 outs tells me he pitched better.

No way they get this game in.

Game will be delayed at least a few hours. Main batch of rain moving out

Bastardo was also good again last night. The bullpen is basically Bastardo and Papelbon right now, and hoping the starter can go 7+ so you don't have to use anyone else.

The only tickets sold on StubHub that matter were mine.

Fatti - In order for me to complete an analysis of who pitched the better game, Lee or Jackson, I need more information.

Lee struck out 12. That's good. What about the 5 hits and the 15 other outs? That could represent another 20 batters faced or 62.5% of the total batters faced. We need to know something about the other batters faced. How many hard shots did they hit?

Jackson struck out six. Not bad. What about the other 21 outs? That could represent 60% of the total batters faced by Jackson. How hard and where were the balls hit by the other batters faced?

Once we know how all batters hit the ball in each of the two games, we can complete the analysis, and, no, BABIP does not help.

I was careless in omitting any reference to Jackson's eight walks. A definitely big negative.

cut: Why were you expecting this team to quit on themselves? They certainly have their issues, but this team is built as a "professional" team.

derek, obviously Jackson had a 0.00 BAbip, so, you're right that doesn't help.

Either way, you seem to sully what we can glean from BAbip and the information currently available to us because it has limitations. We don't know how hard all the balls were hit because we currently don't have that information, but just because we don't have perfect information doesn't mean we are unable to draw reasonable conclusions from the data at hand.

Now MAYBE this was one of those super rare occurances wherein a pitcher strikes out 6 less batters and walks EIGHT more, while relying on his defense for 21 outs and somehow pitched better than the guy who struck out 6 more and walked none, while only relying on his defense for 15 outs, but that would take a great leap on faith on my part.

And you seem to insinuate that weakly hit balls can't turn into hits, and that hard hit balls never turn into outs. Here's the thing: even if all 21 balls off the bat against Jackson were weakly hit, when you walk 8 guys, the offense doesn't always need to hit the ball hard to score a run. A blooper, or a bleeder through the hole left open by the first baseman covering first because of one of the 8 walks issued by E-Jax or any number of fluky things with a ball in play (that aren't that rare) could have resulted in a run against E-Jax that day. This is why stikeouts are so awesome for a pitcher. Nothing can happen when you strike a guy out. Runners can score on sac flies and squeeze bunts, and ground ball outs up the middle. Can't score on a strikeout.

The tickets that were available that I looked at yesterday (and 4 minutes ago for today) are on phillies.com, not any reseller site. Seats in every price range come up, not just standing room.

Exactly who is buying those tickets between now and 1 PM's 'sellout'?

EFF, interesting article on the Red Sox "sell-out" streak. I suspect the Phillies are usinga similar practice.

Luckily the team doesn't quit on itself as quickly as some BLers quit on the team.

Jordan Lyles,will the Phils make him the next Cy Young today?

"Jordan Lyles,will the Phils make him the next Cy Young today?"

A highly regarded prospect, with (presumably) excellent stuff, whom the Phillies have never faced before. That combination is to the Phillies' offense as penicillin is to bacteria.

Good article Fata. I always figured there had to be some fuzzy math surrounding these "sellout streaks."

Regardless of how sold out a game is. The Philadelphia Phillies appear to be the best attended nightly event in the world. 45,000 per night over 81 nights a year. That's amazing.

I agree with gobay. Maybe these all aren't legitimate sellouts, but being a huge fans of the Sixers, I'd rather deal with the problem of being a few hundred eats short every night (out of 45,000) and fib a bit to call it a sellout, then deal with the putrid attendance of the Sixers, who have to fib to claim that half the arena is filled most nights.

Fatti - I insinuate nothing of the kind about weakly hit balls and hard-hit balls. What I do say is that weakly hit balls are positives for pitchers, and hard-hit balls are negatives. If we were quantifying, a weakly hit ball would have a relatively small coefficient and a hard-hit ball would have a relatively large coefficient.

Whenever we use incomplete data, there should be a warning that conclusions drawn from the data may be incorrect.

How often have you seen anyone acknowledge the limitations of FIP, xFIP, etc.? I never have. Instead, these stats are presented as enlightened truth, not necessarily by sabermetricians, but definitely by their adherents.

Exactly who is buying those tickets between now and 1 PM's 'sellout'?

Posted by: EastFallowfield

This is just an example, but say CBP could seat 20 people and regularly oversells seats for an attendance of 25.

Couldn't there be a situation where 20 seats are sold across all tiers (100 level, standing room, etc) to reach a "sell out" status, but seats remain because CBP has the capacity to be oversold to an attendance of 25?

In the example above you are at 100% capacity, but you still have seats free because you routinely book the park over capacity.

This is what I think is happening. Just look at the attendance numbers.

"Look, I'm with you; if we had that information, I'd be giddy. But we don't have that information. But we can draw reasonable conclusions that the pitcher who strkes out 12 and walks none pitched better than the guy who struck out 6 and walked 8."

Actually, Fatti, derek, et al., that info is 'somewhat available:

The above link is to the Jackson no-hitter. You can browse through the play-by-play.

Interestingly, Jackson had a WP in the game also. How does that factor into the evaluation.

I'm sure you can look up Lee's game on b-r.som as well.

Hey if this "fraud" is causing them to give away free tickets to people I'm all for it. Who cares. Only good can come from it. People bitching just to bitch.

jack/fatal: are you still reading AND responding to phlipper? wtf.

Re: Sellouts:

The official seating capacity at the 'Zen is 43,647. At that point I believe they consider it a "sellout".

I suspect that any attendance over that is SRO. IIRC, they won't sell SRO spots until all the seating is sold.

FIP-XFIP-WAR-G-IP/GS
Now I understand the game of Baseball.Now if the Phillies score less runs than the other team I will know they lost because their XFIP was not good enough to score the runs needed. Thanks

Phlipper: Polanco has always been able to hit when healthy, but over the past few years he seems to pick up a nagging injury here and there that inhibits his hitting. Since you disagree that Polanco is declining (in part to age & injuries) do you think the Phillies should pickup his 2013 option now?

re: Jordan Lyles, If I remember correctly, I don't think he's been known as a "stuff" guy in the minors more of a command guy. John Sickles dropped a Brad Radke comp on him regularly and a Jon Lieber comp once or twice.

derek, I don't think any sabermetrician or SABR fan would claim that these stats are some sort of enlightenment or even close to being infallible. I think they woud claim (and I would agree), that they are simply better indicators of performance and better predictors of future performance.

In fact, xFIP isn't even the best metric, in my opinion. I prefer SIERA. Even still, I've already told you that the information you seek (velocity of ball off bat, coupled with the angle of the ball relative to the ground) would greatly increase our understanding of how good a pitcher truly is.

I really hope Polly's able to stay healthy, but I'd hold off the celebration of his resurgence of his offensive abilities, until he's over an 85 OPS+, and until he's shown that he can stay healthy for a majority of the season.

JBird: I know nothing about Lyles. I'm just drawing inferences. His B-Ref page shows that he was a 1st round draft pick & BA's 42nd ranked prospect in 2011. That same page also tells me that his minor league numbers were absolutely ordinary. There must have been something that triggered such a high rating and I am inferring that it could only have been his raw stuff -- most likely his secondary pitches, since his velocity, like his minor league numbers, is ordinary.

Devil's Advocate:

Anyone else think that Polanco is going to hold up over ~150 games and ~550 ABs (current pace is 149 games and 545)?

Me neither. Cholly was giving Polanco some off-days in April when they didn't have an automatic day off in the schedule that week. At least one a week.

Cholly hasn't been doing that this month. Understand why he wants Polanco's hot bat & strong glove in the lineup everyday but he is likely going to play a price for that later this year at some point.

Ditto with how he is using Chooch is is on pace to pay in 144 games and start around 130 G. Simply won't hold up or will wear down offensively.

I'm hearing a lot of rain outside my window right now. I do not believe I will be walking to the subway any time soon for this game. I suspect they'll play and very few people will be there. Today is part of a 17 game ticket plan and I imagine lots of those people will just eat tickets. A BPS in the rain while school and against the Astros equals not many people showing up.

I guarantee too when Howard/Utley comes back that Cholly does the same thing too. He will give them some rest initially if the Phils don't have an automatic off-day scheduled but he will play them everyday after that even if he clearly shouldn't.

He is the wrong manager for this team in several capacities. Managing a roster filled with aging players is one of them.

Just because someone's a well-regarded prospect doesn't mean we should expect them to pitch really well after getting called up. Matt Moore was one of the most highly touted pitching prospects in a while, and he has a 70 ERA+ over 39 IP this year. A young pitcher is still a young pitcher, and a major league team should try not to get shut down by said young pitcher.

Clifton on a pitch count, bullpen arms unavailable....Finally, today is Jake Diekman Day.

What's the count for Lee today?

MG, just like how he gave Chase a day off every third day last year when he first came back. After a few weeks, though, Chase played pretty much every day.

What's the count for Lee today?

Posted by: Joe D

~80-85

Diekmania!

Polanco got most of Sunday off, that's the best Charlie can do.

As for attendance, I don't understand the overselling point made above. 3r0ck, you're saying the Phils sell the same seats more than once or that you only have to sell 20 of 25 seats to be sold out?

I'm saying the streak is a fraud because we get the emails saying "BUY TICKETS!" for the Astros series just the other day, there are seemingly plenty of tickets available from the original source, the weather and records of the teams are lousy, and then you watch the game and see tons of empty seats.

Polanco got most of Sunday off, that's the best Charlie can do.

Posted by: EastFallowfield

I'm speaking to the latter. As a poster above pointed out, 43,647 tickets sold is a "sell-out". You can sell 43,647 tickets and still have seats available, IMHO.

The sun is shining. Birds are singing. We made it. Playball!

Good luck debating the significance of ground ball to flyball ratios and what constitutes a sellout. I hope you can come to an answer by the time I get back from the game.

Why the hell is Lee on a pitch count again? If he's not ready to pitch 100%, let him go on a rehab assignment until he can.

Rehab assignmnet? Because you'd rather have 90 pitches from Kyle Kendrick than 90 from Cliff Lee?
Is he on a pitch count?

NEPP, it's simple: Because an 80 - 85 pitch Cliff Lee ought to be able to go 6+ IP at a higher level than his replacement, Kyle Kendrick.

Anything else?

That's some fine managing there.

Doing a '30 for 30' on Pete Rose this season entitled 'Here Now':

Clip isn't all the exciting but I will still probably watch it one night at the gym.

"Just because someone's a well-regarded prospect doesn't mean we should expect them to pitch really well after getting called up."

Fat: Was talking about his stuff, not what I expect about his performance. I would infer that he must have pretty good stuff to have been so highly regarded -- particularly since there's nothing in his minor league numbers to get excited about.

Stuff notwithstanding, I would expect his performance to be pretty bad because he's a young pitcher & has not exactly excelled in the minors. Today, however, I expect he'll probably take a no-hitter into the 8th inning.

If Papelbon pitched on Saturday and Sunday, then warmed up on Monday, but sat down after the Phils scored 2 in the 8th, would he be available today?

***would he be available today?***

Warming up=/=throwing 100% in a game.

Lineup:

Rollins
Pierre LF
Vic
Pence
Polly
Mayberry 1B
Freddy
Schneider
Cliff

I suspect your answer is N/A, NEPP. I would be surprised if Dubee and Manuel did not defer that question to Papelbon and his $50 million arm.

"I look forward to our bullpen blowing this game and am thankful that Papelbon was used in a non-Save situation last night so he is now unavailable on a day where our SP is on a limited pitch count."

Can you give even one example of that happening in the past?

Can you imagine that Charlie might legitimately be concerned about not using Paps, even with a 4 run lead in the 9th lead, after Bastardo and Qualls have already been used?

Have you watched this bullpen pitch?

Since April 22, RFD has raised his OPS from .375 to .611.

In 49 PA he's hit .311/.347/.467 with a .371 BAbip.

Of course, his BAbip was only .259 when his OPS was .375.

On the season, his BAbip sits at .323.

Let's hope Mayberry can continue...

Freddy vs. Pujols update:

Pujols
149 PAs, 197/235/275, 510 OPS, 8 2B, 0 3B, 1 HR, 12 RBI, 7 BB, 18 K, 46 OPS+

Freddy
115 PAs, 231/265/361, 627 OPS, 9 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR, 15 RBI, 5 BB, 16 K, 70 OPS+

Freddy is also a better defender than Pujols.

Woohoo!!!

Sadly, Adam Dunn would look pretty nice at 1B right now.

If you factor in contracts, Galvis probably has more trade value than Pujols right now. No team would take on that deal willingly.

"I wonder if folks on the Angels message boards are saying instead of that big Pujols contract they should have gotten Adam Dunn."

If they're not saying it, then they're idiots. Pujols has been awful; the team is in last place; and that contract is an abomination. Meanwhile Adam Dunn has an OPS above 1,000 and is only under contract for 2 more years.

FYI: Ryan Howard has a better WAR than Albert Pujols right now (0.0 vs. -0.4).

Lee on MLBTV, Strasburg on TV.

Nice little day to watch some pitching.