« Diekman reflects on win in Major League debut | Main | Game chat: Phillies hoping to solve Matt Garza »

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Comments

Ironic dichotomy: we have a GM who puts together his bench & bullpen without paying the slightest attention to lefty-righty matchup issues (5 LH hitters on the bench; 4 lefties in the pen?). And we have a manager who is absolutely obsessed with lefty-righty matchup issues.

Dear God, I hope the words Tommy John and Ulnar Replacement Surgery don't surface. But elbow soreness is just never good.

Those words could also severely limit the Phils ability/willingness to make a move for a bat in the next couple months.

How long before Oswalt talk dominates Beerleaguer?

Oswalt was a mistake the first time around, no need to discuss him again.

Was just gonna say that Petey... If TJ comes up, I'd expect a real push to sign Lil Roy again.

b_a_p: One of the less discussed aspects of this team is the apparent disconnect between the type of players the GM prefers to acquire & the way in which the field manager operates. Sometimes I wonder if the two ever really interact at all.

petey: Even if Worley were out for the season, I'd have no interest in Oswalt. A pitching staff comprised of the Big Three plus Blanton & KK, with Tyler Cloyd and maybe even Trevor May as backup options, should be more than good enough. It's the offense & bullpen which we should be trying to improve upon.

With Worley's DL stint retroactive to 5/12, we're going to see at least 2 and maybe 3 KK starts.

This will be the second time this season KK has faced off with Garza.

Phils will be at a real pitching disadvantage tonight. KK hasn't pitched since May 9th, and one has to really wonder how stretched out he is and how long he'll be able to go.

This season just seems doomed.

Vanimal replaced by KK in the starting rotation is a net loss. Feels like a game loss tonight to me with KK toeing the rubber.

I am a fan of KK so this is no knock on him but why would you not bring up Dave Bush or even Tyler Cloyd to take Worley's place for a few starts?

Leave Kendrick in his role and leave Savery in the minors

Kendrick just can't give you the efforts he is used to giving with this lighter lineup. In previous years you could hope for him to keep you in games while the bats bailed him out. That isn't going to happen this season.

So is it halladay or hamels tommorrow? Live in Chicago and curious what game i might want to buy last minute tickets for.

Matt Garza, in 4 career starts, against the Phillies: 28 IP, 3 earned runs, 13 hits, 0.96 ERA. These numbers include 7 innings of 1-hit ball only 2 weeks ago. KK was the losing pitcher in that game.

Posted by: awh

Couple that with the fact he apparently doesn't believe in sidework. Take a look at the banner on the sidebar of this site. That is the Sixers. That is what most people should be watching tonight.

Garza tiny spits: 400 Phillies hits tonight: 2

One big reason Kyle Kendrick continues to get the spot starts/injury replacements. Well actually 3M big reasons. And 4.5M big reasons this will happen in 2013 as well.

Otherwise, the Phils would benefit from a guy who at least gets the benefit of having not been seen by these other teams. Kendrick doesn't even give you that lift. Pound for pound, the Kendrick contract may be one of the worst ever given. I'm not saying its as punitive as say, Barry Zito's or Vernon Wells', but on its own it made less sense than any of those contracts.

Back to Jake Diekman: I like his pulsing lightning bolt scar visible in that video. Or is that just a vein? Man, that's wild. Maybe he can use it to intimidate hitters.

Hey, why even play the game tonight? I mean, the Cubs are a really, really tough team.

@JRide...the Kendrick contract was definitely a "good faith" contract for Kyle being a trooper for this team in earlier years and being yo-yo'd around from rotation to pen. Lost in all that was the fact the guy is just a middling (at best) arm. Now he is being asked to fill big shoes both in the bullpen and now in the rotation.

Jride: that might be the most hyperbolic thing i ever heard. What pitcher would you have prefered they signed for the swingman role and what salary would you suggest for them. This has to be a player the phillies could actually sign as FA, this off-season. He pitched pretty well last year in that role and he's young. It's not the 3.5 million dollars that kendrick makes that hamstringed their payroll.

Agree with Joe D as well, it was good faith money. Left that out though, since those type comments generally get shunned around here, although it happens in sports ALL THE TIME.

They should just throw Blanton in Worley's spot too.

TTI - Bush isn't on the 40-man roster and the Phils would have to make a move to add him.

Bush stinks. Rather gamble they can get 5 decent innings out of KK tonight and then stretch him out.

Given that Worley is going to miss at least 3 starts (and possibly more), it makes sense to stretch out KK and leave in the rotation for the next few weeks.

Posted by: mm

And if you want to talk about one of the worst "good faith" deals you need to look no further than the coin that was handed out to Jamie Moyer.

mm: right. I"m not the biggest KK fan, but he did a nice job last year, and it's not shock they'd want him back for this season. However, when he got the 2 year deal I remember thinking something was up-maybe he was being traded or something. I' m not sure they'll get good value for next year, but RAJ really likes cost certainty.

Truth: I'm not too distraught about losing KK from the bullpen because I've always felt that he is miscast there. Relievers have to either miss bats or at least possess one outstanding skill, like inducing ground balls or getting LH hitters out. Kendrick is more like a generalist. He doesn't possess any one outstanding attribute, other than the fact that he usually throws strikes. To me, he has more value as a guy who can give you 6 passable innings than he does in the bullpen, where his presence has always felt almost random.

Man KK generates a lot of hate among Phils' fans but what are the alternatives over the next 3 weeks?

Bush or Elarton? No thanks. KK maybe a marginal starter but I would take him over either of these veteran journeyman at this point.

Just hope that it is inflammation that gets treated with 3-4 weeks of rest and Worley is back by mid-June. Real blow to lose him to elbow surgery given how important of a role he currently has on this team & moving ahead forward next year as a starter.

bedbeard: yea, i agree with that. I don't know why they added the extra year, 2 week(heck maybe only a few days) after the 1 year tender like he did. The only sense I can get is, if you don't need him, and you eat like, 2mm, you could probably get a b level or so prospect out of a club for him. I dunno, sort of made no sense. Even from the good faith angle, i'd prob just throw an easily attaninable performance bonus of 500k into the 1 year deal or something.

I don't hate KK. I'm actually pretty indifferent on him. It's just that this year I cringe that he has to take the ball because like I said above the bats can't really hide his shortcomings anymore.

Tickets to the Red Sox games still available? Wow.

Tells you the general interest in both teams is down a bit especially with the Red Sox. Always have tons of fans at these games at CBP. Often nearly as many if not even more than Phils' fans.

mm, I'm not saying that it hamstringed the payroll. The point was only to say how his contract makes no sense.

Kyle Kendrick is ARGUABLY a major league pitcher making 3 million dollars. Not only that, he has a guaranteed 2 year deal, and gets a 1.5 million raise next year. Chad Qualls only makes 1.5 total, for one freaking year. And he was signed to be the setup guy in high pressure situations. On top of all that, Kendrick is not even free agent eligible yet. They gave him that money in his arbitration years. HE IS STILL ARB ELIGIBLE. HE ONLY HAS 3 YEARS SERVICE TIME.

You mean to tell me the Phillies couldn't fill their Long reliever spot for 3m dollars? Are you kidding?

Part of the Phillies current problems, both past and present, has been their willingness to waste money on "good faith" deals. Anyone who can't see that the Kendrick deal was needless and a waste of money is delusional.

For what is it worth, the Cubs have horrible stats vs LHP this year:

.233/.301/.302 (.604 OPS) in 23 G, 14th in NL

They have hit RHP much better this year:

.250/.311/.393 (.704 OPS) in 36 G, 11th in NL

Tickets to the Red Sox games still available? Wow.

Posted by: MG

Nah, I get it. All the frontrunners from the tri-state area are officially off the Red Sox bandwagon.

MG: I was thinking the same thing. If the Phils haven't already sold out the Red Sox series, something's up. Mainly, people not being interested in watching a bad (or in this case, a couple of bad) baseball teams.

So every 5th day is a guaranteed loss.

Can Pedro still pitch?

How long before Doc needs to miss a start?

Can Pedro still pitch?

Posted by: Scotch Man

Still can't believe how boss he was in the LCS out in LA. Had he been able to channel some move vintage Pedro in the World Series that would have been something else. He'll always be one of my favorites.

GTown Dave - I would be curious to see the Phils' TV/radio ratings so far this year compared to last year. I would bet they are significantly down (at least 10-20%) on the TV ratings.

Posted by: MG

I don't know how ratings work and if they account for the person who flips back and forth but they have been going up against the Flyers and Sixers for most of the season on a few nights a week too.

Hey I can be ready in two weeks!

JRide: What do you think a consistently healthy, veteran, 4.50 ERA arm typically costs in free agency?

Some recent Kendrick comparables: Carl Pavano, Jake Westbrook, Joe Saunders. What did those guys demand (and receive) in the free agent market?

The only thing I really hate about Kendrick is his delivery. I can't stand the herky-jerkiness of it.

MG: I wouldn't doubt it. Feels like a lot of the more casual fans -- as in people who didn't watch the team regularly before '08 or '09 -- are finding other things to do this season.

"Oswalt was a mistake the first time around, no need to discuss him again."

The number of people that think this is way out of proportion with how crazy it is. He had a sub-3 ERA as a Phillie.

Strange. It has been 22 minutes since JRide posted, "Kyle Kendrick is ARGUABLY a major league pitcher," and we haven't heard from clout yet. I hope he's ok.

I think the Phils should go against the humdrum. Using Kendrick is friggin' boring. Let Trevor May have a start. Maybe you find lightning in a bottle, maybe you don't. If he sucks, send him back down or, if he gives you the same numbers as KK, be PATIENT and let him start again. KK is ALWAYS the last option. Try something new Rube

Why isn't Diekman available to start today??

I'm not sure I agree with using $$ on Oswalt, but I don't have any issue with the trade to bring him here.

If KK bombs tonight, here comes Cloyd.

Calling up AAAA junk to replace Worley would be a poor decision. Kendrick has not looked good as of late, but the other guys havent looked good in the past decade or ever at all.

Kendrick is your spot starter, and hes paid quite well based on his previous performance in this role so you have go with him.

And i mean, the Phils have won as many games with KK starting as they have with Cliff Lee, so everything is just fine.

I hope this isn't Joe Blanton "soreness" like last year.

DH Phils: Agreed. Oswalt pitched very well overall for the Phillies. Apparently fan expectations of him were impossibly high.

Did anyone see Brett Lawrie throw his helmet at Bill Miller last night? Some of these umpires deserve to have equipment thrown at them. The guy not only blew the call on what should have been ball 4 and ball 5, he did so with the classic BS late strike call while the batter is 3 steps down to first base.

I'm sure Lawrie can expect a 10-game suspension and Miller can expect to be reprimanded by nobody.

I hope this isn't Joe Blanton "soreness" like last year.

Posted by: The Hook

I have already resigned myself to the fact that this will play out the same way.

Posted by: DH Phils

I saw it and loved it. I also got a nice chuckle out of Miller being hit with a beer after the game on his way into the clubhouse too. That guy must have been from Philly though. That only happens here.

I'm convinced that an MLB ump could murder someone on the field and feel no repercussions.

KK vs CHC earlier this year: 6IP 2ER 7K 1BB 5H on 85 pitches.

Sign me up.

Incorrect. The Phillies are 1-4 in the 5 GS by Cliff Lee. The Phillies are 0-8 in games in which Kyle Kendrick has appeared, including 0-3 in his 3 GS.

No doubt Joe D.

Pedro had some awesome outings during his brief tenure with the Phils. The NLCS duel with Padilla could have been my favorite gave of the post season (except we lost). Too bad he stunk out the joint in the Series.

No doubt Joe D.

Posted by: Scotch Man

He threw a complete gem in the NLCS. I also loved his Sunday night game against the Mets. He was feeling it that night and the crowd was in a frenzy. A really cool start from a legendary arm.

You guys don't think the Phillies would be less than truthful about player injuries do you? If they say Joe is just "sore," he must be just sore. He'll be back in 2 weeks.

Posted by: JRide | Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 12:14 PM

You are being silly again. It is obvious that you have been a fan for only the last few years. Most of the Phillies problems in the past was that they didn't SPEND money. Now that they SPEND money, you complain that they pay some guys too much. They have the second highest payroll in baseball. Who says that if they don't sign Kendrick to the deal that they don't just keep the money and hope that Bush/Elerton/etc can pick up the role?

Two Words: J.D. Durbin

I would love to get Oswalt back, but first of all, BAP is probably right that we need to fix our BP more than we need to replace Worley - especially since we don't yet know the extent of his injury. (Although, color me concerned.)

Second of all, what makes anyone so sure Oswalt wants to pitch for a sub-.500 team that has yet to win a game for Cliff Lee? My guess is that if he comes back to baseball, it will be because he feels he has a real chance at a WS.

But I agree with DH Phils & GTown - Oswalt pitched well for us.

* * * *

So every 5th day is a guaranteed loss.

Posted by: Scotch Man | Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Not just every 5th day. See Lee, Cliff. He of the sub-2.17 ERA.

Phils just acquired the OTHER Kyle-- Kyle Hudson from the Rays (who?) for Rich Thompson..(who?):0

For those of you interested, Bill Baer has a nice breakdown of Chooch's swing over at Crashburn Alley.

The link is on the left.

All this Oswalt chatter is premature.

He'll wait until July when he has more leverage before he signs with any team.

Besides,no one knows the condition of his back.

That said, bap is correct: the BP is the big issue right now. The SP with the Big 3 and Joe B will be plenty.

It's going to be holding leads for those 4 that is the concern (in addition to actually scoring with RISP and NO outs.)

Two Words: J.D. Durbin

Posted by: Michael Martinez's Tools

He was a real winner. I think he threw a CG in Arizona didn't he?

Think the complete game was in San Diego.

Couldn't pass this up. Here's a quote from Marc Narducci over at philly.com re Schneider hitting a home run yesterday:

"Even though he is known for his defense, Schneider hit a career-low .176 last season (22 for 125) with two home runs and nine RBIs."

Huh? Schneider is known for his defense? Then why does he come out in the 8th inning of almost every game?

You could be right That Guy. I have a hard time remembering but I know he threw one and I remember being shocked.

I wonder what the odds of having two Durbins on the same team?

It was against Peavy which makes it even more improbable.

Sorry- meant to say what the odds WERE

Just checked the box score of that game with Durbin v. Peavy. Baseball is so beautiful.

"Phils just acquired the OTHER Kyle-- Kyle Hudson from the Rays (who?) for Rich Thompson..(who?)"

A look at Kyle Hudson's career minor league numbers reveals this somewhat astounding fact: 1,744 minor league PAs; 0 homeruns. He does have a boat-load of strikeouts, though.

Still, Rich Thompson is 33-year old organizational filler. Hudson is 25, has good speed, and has at least posted a high minor league OBP. Seems like a worthwhile trade, although not one that is likely to e ever result in any tangible benefit.

How is this not its own thread!?!

So we go from a bullpen with one LHP to a bullpen with FOUR LHP: Savery, Diekman, Bastardo and Valdes.

"You can never have too many LOOGYS"-Roberto Alomar

SLO -
Amazing that a sports town like ours has so many sportswriters with a WAR = 0

I think the odds are far more impressive that the Durbins were not related. Though if I was related to either, I wouldn't admit to it either.

Good news! Robinson Tejeda is available. I'm sure Amaro briefly considered bringing him back. We love our own re-treads

Elarton's regular turn is tonight.Just saying.
Jiwan James is beginning to look like he might actually get it.
Might soon have to take a look
at that Abreu guy. No the one at Reading.

jr: jiwan had a OPS over 1 as deep as like the middle of April. Now in the middle of May he now has a .680 OPS with a .273 OBP, and somehow even a worse K/BB ratio then he usually does (41/5).

So what you're saying lorecore is that James is a perfect fit?

Jiwan James stinks. I was just hoping he could keep up his hitting stats until Amaro pawned him off this summer to some foolish team who accepted him as a 2nd-tier prospect as part an overall trade package.

I dont know crap about Kyle Hudson, but my first guess of the trade is that maybe they want to get Derrick Mitchell to CF by getting rid of a AAA lifer like Thompson to free up room.

Not sure why the Orioles would want Thompson, they can't be that desperately thin at OF depth can they? They dealt a 25yr old with respectable OBP and SB numbers for fillest of fillers, odd how this trade ever came up in discussions in the first place.

And yes Derrick Mitchell probably stinks too, but he's had good enough seasons the past two years to at least earn a full year in AAA at the most valuable position he can play.

lorecore-- The trade was with the Rays-- not that it really matters

I love the irony of Kyle Kendrick's initials.

donc- hope his middle name isn't Kevin.

Thankfully, it's Rodney...

That would explain the lack of respect, Oogie.

Hudson for Thompson smells like another of the Phillies braintrust(Joe Jordan) trying to please the Overlord(RAJ) by whispering in the Overlord's ear that his old club has a guy that would "help out" because he knows the guy from drafting him. Meh.

Uh.....except he didn't work for the Rays.

Kyle Hudson is a left fielder. Interesting.

Of course, it doesn't always work out, but wouldn't you want your guy whispering in your GM's ear about a potential "sleeper" type guy from his old team?

By no means do I believe this massive trade is anything worthwhile, but I'd rather be on the team getting the "younger" guy.

thanks for the crashburn ally heads-up, awh. in addition to lifting his front foot less this year, i noticed that he keeps both hands on the bat further into his follow-thru.

if anybody deserves to be paid for the past, as well as going forward, in his next contract, it's chooch.

hey utley, do something.

"Oswalt was a mistake the first time around, no need to discuss him again."

The number of people that think quoting statistics means success is out or proportion with reality. So many people on here toss around numbers like they're gospel. What we gave up to get him and what he did for us in the big picture = Phillies lose.