The Phillies Winter Tour docked in Reading last night for the event’s largest gathering this winter. The Reading Eagle has the early report from the event that drew 650 fans, the largest among the Winter Tour stops.
- Reading Eagle writers Phil Gianficaro and Mike Drago combine for a breaking news piece that addresses a number of issues, including the Mike Piazza rumors and word on Randy Wolf’s return. Read more about it here.
- Also in that article, Phillies farm director Steve Noworyta delivers word that pitcher Cole Hamels will begin the season in Reading, as will catcher Jason Jaramillo. Outfielder Michael Bourn, projected to return to Double-A, will actually begin the year in Triple-A. Here's an updated link to Drago's R-Phils blog for a feature on Bourn. [link]
- In addition, Gianficaro sat down with National League Rookie of the Year Ryan Howard to discuss his future. Read about it here:
- Mike Drago had Tom Gordon’s ear to ask about the nuances of relief pitching. Flash says his time in New York was a valuable learning experience: Read about it here.
- I’ll have my take on last night’s winter tour later. In a Beerleaguer first, I was provided access to the media session, including a 15-minute face-to-face with manager Charlie Manuel.