The Florida Marlins have been on the receiving end of a buzzsaw that started churning a week ago. Marlins pitcher Josh Beckett is next on the menu, the poor soul standing in the way of the fury the Phillies offense has unleashed upon the reckless Marlins’ bullpen.
The Phils are showing all the right signs of a blessed September team, as they continue to seize every chance under the sun. I thought the Phils needed to be perfect this series. Instead, they’ve been perfectly opportunistic, and the Marlins have been sloppy with their bullpen and defense.
Here’s how the Phils wasted Florida in the ninth inning. At the time, I was a mile up in the bleachers of Beaver Stadium watching Penn State put the finishing touches on the hapless Central Michigan Chippewas.
- Rollins singled to left
- Michaels walked, J. Rollins to second
- Abreu safe at first on fielding error, J. Rollins scored, J. Michaels to third
- Jones relieved Willis
- Chavez ran for Abreu
- Burrell singled to center, Michaels scored, Chavez to second
- Utley reached on bunt single, Chavez scored, Burrell to third, Utley to second on throwing error
- Victorino ran for P. Burrell
- Bell singled to shallow center, Victorino scored, Utley to third
- Lieberthal singled to center, Utley scored, Bell to second
- Howard hit for Martinez
- Howard safe at first on fielding error, Bell scored, Lieberthal to second
- Tucker hit for Urbina
- Villone relieved Jones
- Tucker singled to right, Lieberthal to third, Howard to second
- Rollins singled to center, Lieberthal and Howard scored, Tucker to second
- Michaels struck out looking
- Chavez singled to center, Tucker scored, Rollins to second, Rollins to third on error
- Messenger relieved Villone
- Victorino hit sacrifice fly to center, Rollins scored
- Utley grounded out to pitcher
10 runs, 8 hits, 4 errors, 10 consecutive hitters reach base
If I’m reading this correctly, the game-winning hit was Utley’s bunt single back to pitcher that scored pinch-runner Endy Chavez from second. That alone would have been worth forfeiting my ticket. The Phillies pulled this kind of play against Atlanta closer Danny Kolb early this season. I love when teams force quivering pitchers to make plays. In addition, making an ex-Phillie pay, and not the other way around, is totally foreign concept to me.
Eude “Buzzsaw” Brito tries for the series sweep tonight against Beckett. I’m glad the Eagles and Phillies games won't conflict. After yesterday's magic, I hope the Phils draw a captive audience. The boys in green battle the San Fransciso 49ers this afternoon at 1 p.m. on Fox, then at 8, the boys in red go for the kill in a nationally-televised game on ESPN2.
- J still Rolling: Jimmy’s hitting streak reached 23 games. Though the entire offense has pitched in, J-Roll has been the catalyst.
- Ex-Phil Todd Jones blew a save for the first time in 28-straight chances.
- The Phillies remain a half-game behind Houston in the NL wild-card race after the Astros beat Milwaukee 7-0. If anyone knows a witchdoctor that can put a hex on Houston, drop me an e-mail. For the rest of you, think bad thoughts.
- The 10-run rally in the ninth set a franchise record.
- Do you think the Phillies made Charlie Manuel’s 300th career win a memorable one?